Vat Refund Guide in Finland
How to get VAT Refunds from Vat Refund Guide in Finland for your business
VAT-registered businesses in an EU member state are eligible to recover VAT on business costs from Vat Refund Guide in Finland under the EU VAT Refund Directive.
VAT-registered businesses outside of the European Union are eligible to recover VAT on business costs from Vat Refund Guide in Finland under the 13th Directive.
Finland’s VAT Rates
Like many European nations, Finland began its VAT directive (called Arvonlisävero) in 1995, upon entering the European Union. Although the EU requires its members to meet a minimum 15% standard VAT rate, the Nordic nation went above and beyond—introducing their standard VAT rate at 22%.
Finland’s trend of levying above-average rates has continued through the years. In 2013, Finland’s standard VAT rate reached its current level of 24%. Today, this EU country boasts the fifth-highest standard rate in all of Europe.
Current Rates in Finland
Finland splits its VAT rates into the following four categories:
- Standard rate (24%) – The standard rate covers any goods and services that don’t fall into categories eligible for reductions. In other words, most products land in this category. The tax on insurance premiums is also included under the standard rate.
- Reduced rate (14%) – The first reduced VAT rate covers most foods for people and livestock, as well as restaurant and catering services.
- Reduced rate (10%) – The second reduced VAT rate applies to written materials (books, newspapers, and periodicals in any format), medical supplies, admission to cultural events, accommodation, passenger transport, art, and sports and exercise services.
- Zero rate (0%) – No Finnish VAT accompanies export deliveries, international transport, or some services related to non-profits.
How to Pay VAT Bill in Finland
Finland offers three VAT payment schedules:
- Monthly – The monthly scheme for Finnish VAT payments is the standard option; most businesses follow this schedule. If you file monthly, your return is due on the 12th of the second month following the end of the tax period.
- Quarterly – You can choose quarterly reporting if you earn less than €100,000 per year. If you file quarterly, your return is due on the 12th day of the second month following the end of the quarter.
- Annually – You can choose to file annually if you earn less than €30,000 per year. If you file annually, your return is due at the end of February the following year.
It’s important to note that even if you had no sales during the filing period, you still need to submit a VAT return on time.
Finland collects VAT payments using an online system called MyTax. To pay your VAT bill, you’ll have to log in to your account using online banking codes, the Finnish Authenticator app, or a mobile certificate. You can also pay your value added tax or VAT bill via e-bank, though you should ensure that you’ve correctly copied the Finnish Tax Administration’s bank account number.
If you’re due a VAT refund, Finland will send the funds directly to your linked bank account. You can file for a Finland VAT refund and provide a bank account number through MyTax. Refunds should land in your account in a week.
Finland VAT Compliance
To comply with Finland’s VAT laws, you must:
- Follow all VAT invoice requirements
- Maintain records for at least six years
- Use accepted currency exchange rates
Additionally, you must file your return on time. As of 2022, late payments incur a 7% interest fee.
If you need support filing a VAT return or submitting for a VAT refund, our expert team is here to help—contact us today.
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Consumption Tax Trends – Finland. https://www.oecd.org/tax/consumption/consumption-tax-trends-finland.pdf
Ministry of Finance Finland. Value Added Tax. https://vm.fi/en/value-added-tax
Vero Skatt. Making changes to the tax period for VAT. https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-corporations/taxes-and-charges/vat/when-to-file-and-pay/tax-period/
Vero Skatt. Instructions for VAT payment. https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-corporations/taxes-and-charges/vat/when-to-file-and-pay/how-to-find-the-information-needed-for-paying-vat-in-mytax/
Vero Skatt. Refunds of VAT, excise duties and other self-assessed taxes. https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-corporations/taxes-and-charges/self-assessed-taxes/refunds-of-vat-and-other-taxes/
Vero Skatt. Instructions for completing the VAT return. https://www.vero.fi/en/businesses-and-corporations/taxes-and-charges/vat/when-to-file-and-pay/instructions-for-completing-the-vat-return/
Vero Skatt. VAT invoice requirements. https://www.vero.fi/en/detailed-guidance/guidance/48090/vat-invoice-requirements2/
Which countries have reciprocity with Vat Refund Guide in Finland?
What expenses are claimable in Vat Refund Guide in Finland?
How far back can your business claim VAT from Vat Refund Guide in Finland?
What’s the foreign VAT deadline in Vat Refund Guide in Finland?
How long does it take to receive a VAT refund from Vat Refund Guide in Finland?
Need help with your VAT refund from Vat Refund Guide in Finland?